Managing Assistant Attorney General/Team Leader
The Seattle Section of the AGO’s Torts Division has an exciting opportunity for an experienced lawyer to become the Team Leader of its Team 4 trial litigation team. Torts team leaders "lead from the front." They carry an active caseload, defending tort and civil rights cases brought in state and federal courts against state agencies and their employees, and they lead a team of litigation attorneys and professional staff engaged in that work.
The Division seeks a lawyer with at least five years of significant litigation experience in state and federal courts. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
• Maintaining and applying a comprehensive knowledge of tort law;
• Working productively with agency clients to defend cases;
• Assisting client agencies with risk management;
• Developing and executing legal strategy;
• Conducting and answering discovery;
• Bringing and answering motions;
• Engaging in alternative dispute resolution;
• Negotiating settlements as appropriate; and
• Otherwise independently managing and executing all aspects of case preparation and presentation in jury and bench trials, primarily in Western Washington.
The successful candidate can also expect to handle the appeals of their cases, including briefing and oral argument.
A strong foundation of litigation expertise, including some torts experience, is important for this position. Applicants should have demonstrated competence executing the litigation responsibilities described above, including conducting trials in state and/or federal courts.
The ideal candidate will also possess:
• Outstanding analytical, research, and writing skills;
• Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills;
• Excellent problem solving skills, strong attention to detail, and strong time management skills;
• Excellent judgment;
• Demonstrated competence in mentoring and supervising other attorneys and professional staff;
• Experience and poise in interacting with high level client representatives; and
• The interest and ability to work well with people who have diverse backgrounds, experiences, and communication styles, in a collaborative team environment including litigation support and investigative staff, the client agencies and agency Risk Managers, the Office of Risk Management, and other Torts Division attorneys.
Experience representing state agency clients is preferred, but not required. While the position is located in Seattle, occasional travel to other areas of the state may be expected.
Interested applicants must apply by hitting the "apply" button on the atg.wa.gov website.
In addition to the on-line application, one must upload, via the system:
• A letter of interest;
• Law school transcript (unofficial copy is acceptable); and
• Writing sample.
If you have questions about this position and/or wish to learn more about the position or the Torts Division before applying, we encourage you to contact the current Team Leader Earl Sutherland at (206) 587-4278 or (206) 718-8910 or, firstname.lastname@example.org